Meeting with supervisor
(1) EKG line part – too long
(2) Matrix rain not good -> digital city?
(3) Bad TV effect could be more, time to time
(4) Bubble face effect not fit -> make more digital like; Reverse
(5) Grandpa appear -> block appear -> layer -> grandpa disappear
(6) The color part -> background pure white better than noise -> Frame jump & Screen jump & layer things up
(7) Hologram Screen could be bigger
(1) Try project from backside, screen -> Timo, DMSP
(1) <The Presentation of Everyday Life> Irving Goffman
(2) <The Second Self> Sherry Turkle
(3) <Life on the screen> Sherry Turkle
(4) <The Inner history of devices> Sherry Turkle
4. ESSAY ABSTRACT
(1) Question not good.
Intern Review Meeting
Suggestions on the performance:
- EKG Lines become active agin and forms ASCII Man
- iPad projection on the face
- It is unnecessary to be constraint to be digital data online. It could be any data on various digital technology or devices, even the phone itself. Like the example of the “Phone Hacking Case” where someone else hacked the phone of a dead schoolgirl and created wrong impression that the girl was still alive.
- Think about the new digitalisation of data. What could be the presentation of digital life form? On and off, one and zero, ASCII code… …
Suggestions on the research/written part:
Always Back Up.
Learn from today’s Video shooting:
2. Shoot the whole body into the scene!
3. Actor needs to wear dark clothes against light background and ground (where to find light ground)
4. in various scenes of daily life, the eye direction of the actor need to be towards left side.
=> all in all, need to take second time >_<
After Meeting with Supervisor
1. Max, ascli_shader, OpenGL, jit.gl.text 3d, glrenderline; / Clue in Max; Jitter tutorial in Max /Puredata,
2. Blender, Python, matrix code/ matrix rain code
3. flash matrix text
After Meeting with Supervisor
1. Books Reading:
(1) “Art of the Digital Age” (ECA Lib – 0 – N7433.8Wan)
(2) “A Touch of Code” (ECA Lib – 0 – N6498.157Tou)
(3) “Digital Art” (ECA Lib – 0 – N7433.8Pau)
(4) “Creative Code” (ECA Lib – 0 – N6537.M3364Mae)
(5) “Internet Art” (Main Lib – 2 – N7433.8Gre) (ECA Lib – 0) (Architecture – short)
(6) “Maeda @ media” (ECA Lib – 0 – N7433.8Mae)
(7) “New Media in Art” (Main Lib – 2 – N6494.M78Rus) (Architecture – short)
(8) “Digital Interactive Installations: … Max/MSP/JITTER” (Main lib – 2 – N7433.8Blu)
2. Software: Max + Blender + AfterEffects / Final Cut;
jit.gl.model -> Max+Blender
Kinect (equipment booking)
3. Installation Research: Joseph Hyde http://www.josephhyde.co.uk/
Get into ‘Cinema 4D‘
download a trial version and watched a basic tutorial video, but not found too much differences between Blender and Cinema4D yet.
==> need to decide what kind of software to be used for 3D Mapping Interactive Performance – Blender? Cinema4D? Max?..
Come up with a narrative story 1 about Digital Afterlife, but it seems not good.
==> Some thought about my 3D mapping interactive performance:
If it need to be done with actors, then the number of actors is supposed to be as less as possible, ideally only one.
If it is a narrative story, then it is ideally no conversation, like Disney Animation Paperman.
If it as an abstract visual performance, how to design the color, shape, composition?
Visit some possible outdoor stages/screens:
since the theme is about digital afterlife, so I tried to search some places related to death, so graveyard or churchyard fist came to my mind.
(1) Greyfriards Kirkyard
(2) Canongate Kirk
If set the stage as the graveyard, it might seems not respectful for the dead, their family and the churchyard itself.
Or maybe build a physical object like a tombstone putting on stage instead?
1. where is the stage/screen?
– Building? (Museums – we digital data will be stored in future museums) (Sculpture Court – sculptures) (churchyard – physical dead sites)
– Objects? (tombstones) (sculptures)
2. The content of the performance?
– narrative story?
– abstract visual animation?
3. How to achieve the performance?
– software? (Blender) (Cinema 4D) (Max) (After Effect) (Photoshop) (Illustrator)
4. Keep Learning from other digital art performances